The morning calm at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland was shattered Friday when an apparent murder-suicide at a classroom building left two men dead, triggered a lockdown and brought a swarm of military, federal and local law enforcement.
The lockdown was lifted at 10:17 a.m., Ford said.
Bexar County Sheriff's Office spokesman James Keith told reporters that "Right now it does appear to be a murder-suicide situation."
Lt. Col. Jeremy Waller, commander of the Office of Special Investigations' 11th Field Investigations Squadron at Joint Base San Antonio, said OSI agents are conducting the crime scene investigation and looking into how the shooting began. Waller said the investigation would continue for several hours.
The FBI said its agents were offering assistance to support the investigation. Terrorism is not suspected, officials said.
The Lackland shooting also took place on the same day several hundred new airmen graduated from had their basic military training at the base graduation ceremony.
LaBrutta said only authorized law enforcement such as security forces and Office of Special Investigations agents are allowed to carry weapons on base. He said the investigation into Friday's shooting will look at how the weapons were brought into the facility.
Two people are dead in an apparent murder-suicide at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas, the Bexar County Sheriff's Office said Friday morning.
Shortly before noon Eastern Standard Time, the sheriff's office said the situation is contained and that the shooter is no longer active. The base issued a release saying there are no indications the shooting was a terrorist attack.
In a news conference at the base, Brig. Gen. Bob LaBrutta, the commander of the 502nd Air Base Wing and Joint Base San Antonio, said two men were found dead in an office on the first floor of building 147 of the Medina Annex, a classroom facility known as Forbes Hall. Two Glock weapons were found at the scene, LaBrutta said.
"This morning, we received one of those calls that you never want to receive," LaBrutta said.
According to initial internal Pentagon communications obtained by Air Force Times, the commanding officer of a training squadron at the base was shot by an airman. The initial communication may have listed an incorrect squadron.
An Air Force spokeswoman at the Pentagon could not immediately confirm the internal report. LaBrutta said the Air Force will not release any information on the deceased pending notification of their next of kin, or a possible motive in the shooting.
The Associated Press reported Friday afternoon that an unnamed senior U.S. official said an airman shot his commander.
Lackland called the sheriff's office about the shooter at about 8:40 a.m. Central Standard Time, and the base was placed on lockdown. LaBrutta said the lockdown was lifted at 10:17 a.m. local time.
"They did find two people who were dead," Bexar County Sheriff's Office spokesman James Keith told reporters. "Right now it does appear to be a murder-suicide situation."
OSI is investigating the shooting, and the FBI has offered its assistance.
Stephen Losey is the air warfare reporter for Defense News. He previously covered leadership and personnel issues at Air Force Times, and the Pentagon, special operations and air warfare at Military.com. He has traveled to the Middle East to cover U.S. Air Force operations.