Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., wants to know why the Air Force has not taken any action regarding three reprimanded instructor pilots at Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas, following a review into how the pilots were investigated for text messages deemed to be unprofessional.

The instructor pilots were grounded and received letters of reprimand for the text messages, which investigators felt contained references to drug use. The pilots have claimed that they actually were referencing club and rap songs that mention using drugs, such as in Miley Cyrus' "We Can't Stop."

Investigators further suspect that two of the instructor pilots did not inform their superiors about sexual, unprofessional relationships that they knew about.

Hunter has been an outspoken advocate for the pilots along with Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill. In October, Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh met with both lawmakers and vowed to review the actions investigators took in the cases of the three pilots.

In a letter to Welsh on Thursday, Hunter wrote that an investigation by the Office of Inspector General’s Office investigation and a general officer review have both been completed since Nov. 27, but the Air Force has yet to notify Hunter’s office about the findings or take any action regarding the pilots.

"As discussed previously, it is important for the Air Force not to simply view these cases as individual personnel actions," Hunter wrote. "There are more significant policy issues associated with the cases, and your judgment, as well as the integrity of the review process, is sure to have lasting implications — for better or worse. I trust you will make a decision that ensures that even if wrongful action is taken against personnel, there is a system in place to ensure lives and careers are not ruined as a result."

Asked about Hunter's letter, an Air Force spokesman said the service is still considering the matter.

"It is important to allow for a thorough review and complete understanding of the facts as it relates to this issue," Lt. Col. Christopher Karns said in an email Thursday to Air Force Times. "The appropriate time is being taken to ensure this occurs. The Congressional interest in this matter will certainly be addressed."

Hunter spokesman Joe Kasper said both lawmakers expect to hear from the Air Force "in the immediate future." He stressed that three pilots' cases have wide-ranging ramifications about privacy concerns, what communications are appropriate and other issues that are important for all airmen.

"In the end, there has to be recourse for individuals who are falsely accused of criminal acts," Kasper told Air Force Times on Friday. "If that takes the chief of staff of the United States Air Force himself to intervene, then that has to happen. You can't take out of context somebody's words to make an argument of convenience, then stubbornly stick by that argument with the purpose of damaging somebody's reputation and career."

Share:
In Other News
Load More