An airman’s death at Andersen Air Force Base in Guam has been ruled a homicide, but the airman suspected of killing him has not yet been charged, the Air Force Office of Special Investigations said.

The unidentified airman is still being held in pre-trial confinement at Andersen on suspicion of murder or manslaughter in the death of Airman 1st Class Bradley Hale, OSI spokeswoman Linda Card said in an email Wednesday.

Hale, 20, was found unresponsive in his quarters on base and was pronounced dead at about 3 a.m. March 27, Andersen said last week.

Card said the suspect was taken into custody by security after a knife was found at the scene.

Airman 1st Class Bradley Hale was found unresponsive in his quarters at Andersen Air Force Base in Guam, and was declared dead early the morning of March 27. His death has been ruled a homicide. (Air Force)
Airman 1st Class Bradley Hale was found unresponsive in his quarters at Andersen Air Force Base in Guam, and was declared dead early the morning of March 27. His death has been ruled a homicide. (Air Force)

The investigation into Hale’s death is still open and ongoing, Card said, and that no further details about the investigation or the coroner’s report can be released until it is closed.

Card said the suspect cannot be identified until he has been charged. He could face charges of violating Article 118 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

“The legal process — charges, court actions/locations, etc. — results from the [ongoing] investigation,” Card said. “AFOSI strives to be as accurate as possible with respect to completion of its investigations. Therefore, a precise timeline for concluding this investigation cannot be given yet.”

The Guam Daily Post reported that Guam’s chief medical examiner, Dr. Aurelio Espinola, said Hale’s autopsy showed his neck had been slashed three times.

Card said she could not confirm those reports.

Hale was deployed to Guam from Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana.