COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. ― The Air Force has finished the first wave of one-day safety stand-downs of flying and maintenance wings.

The stand-downs were ordered in the wake of a string of alarming aircraft mishaps and crashes.

Now, Chief of Staff Gen. Dave Goldfein said, the service is starting to comb through all the data collected during that operational safety review to try to find answers on what may be causing the recent mishaps ― and how to stop them.

“We can’t afford to lose our treasure, and our treasure is our airmen, first, and our aircraft and weapons systems our nation relies upon,” Goldfein said in interviews June 2 and 3 during his trip to the Warrior Games at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. “I’m really hopeful that we’ll get some really good results out of this.”

But Goldfein is confident that while the recent string of mishaps is alarming, they do not amount to an aviation crisis.

Instead, he feels the Air Force is seeing a relatively normal number of mishaps, occurring in a short time frame.

“No, not at all,” Goldfein said when asked if he thought the Air Force was facing a crisis. “If you take a look at the overall numbers, we’re not that far out of whack. It’s a time issue, it’s not a numbers issue. I’ve not seen anything that would indicate to me that we’re in a crisis mode.”

A Military Times analysis of aviation mishap data across all services found that the Air Force’s mishap rate hit a seven-year high last year. That was driven by an increase in low-level “Class C” mishaps.

While Class C mishaps are not fatal and cause damage that is less expensive than the more alarming Class A and B mishaps, experts say that they are still worrisome, and could point to worse problems developing down the road.

Goldfein has also ordered a review of Class C mishaps, the Air Force said in April.