A lockdown at Travis Air Force Base in California has been lifted after police found no signs of gunshots being fired at the base exchange.
Staff Sgt. Nicole Leidholm, a spokeswoman for the base, said that base officials received reports of gunshots at the BX and responded. However, police found no shooter there, and no gunshots were fired.
Travis officials on Wednesday ordered personnel to shelter in place in response to a "real world security incident."
Travis said on its Facebook page at about 3:30 p.m. Pacific time that officials were responding to the incident, and asked the public to stay away so emergency responders could deal with it. About 15 minutes later, the base said on its official Twitter feed that a shelter in place had been declared, and that people should lock doors and windows.
In response to a comment on the original Facebook post, Travis said that the warning was not connected to a base exercise already scheduled for the day.
The alert came hours after a gunman shot and wounded Louisiana Rep. Steve Scalise, a congressional aide, a lobbyist and two Capitol Police officers at a baseball practice in Alexandria, Virginia, raising tensions across the country. There was also another mass shooting at a UPS facility in San Francisco Wednesday that killed four and wounded two.
The U.S. is welcoming tens of thousands of Afghans airlifted out of Kabul but has disclosed little publicly about a small group who remain overseas: dozens who triggered potential security issues during security vetting and have been sent to an American base in the Balkan nation of Kosovo.
George Lucius Salton was a survivor of ten different concentration camps who served in the U.S. Army after liberation. His daughter tracked down families of Holocaust survivors for an emotional reunion.