The Air Force is in the middle of its premiere training exercise, with dozens of aircraft flying for several hours per day above the Nevada desert.
More than 115 aircraft from 17 units are taking part in Red Flag 15-3 at Nellis Air Force Base. Aircraft are flying for more than five hours per day for realistic red-on-blue attacker-defender training until the end of the month. The exercise takes part over the Nevada Test and Training Range, an area with more than 15,000 square miles of airspace, 1,900 possible targets and systems meant to replicate threatened airspace.
Unlike other Red Flags this year, this version involves only U.S. units. In addition to Air Force aircraft, participants include a Marine F/A-18 squadron, a Marine EA-6B squadron and a Navy EA-18G squadron. Air Force aircraft include F-15Cs, F-15Es, F-16s, F-22s, B-52s, KC-135s, RC-135s, E-3As and E-8s, according to Nellis.
The full list of units involved are:
- 53rd Wing, 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, F-15Cs, Nellis
- 159th Fighter Wing, 122nd Fighter Squadron, F-15Cs, New Orleans
- 325th Fighter Wing, 95th Fighter Squadron, F-22As, Tyndall AFB, Florida
- 20th Fighter Wing, 55th Fighter Squadron, F-16CMs, Shaw AFB, South Carolina
- 55th Wing, 43rd Electronic Combat Squadron, EC-130Hs, Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona
- 52nd Fighter Wing, 480th Fighter Squadron, F-16CMs, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
- 5th Bomber Wing, 69th Bomber Squadron, B-52H, Minot AFB, North Dakota
- 366th Fighter Wing, 389th Fighter Squadron, F-15Es, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
- 366th Fighter Wing, 391st Fighter Squadron, F-15Es, Mountain Home
- 552nd Air Combat Wing, 960th Airborne Air Control Squadron, E-3A, Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
- 22nd Air Refueling Wing, 344th Air Refueling Squadron, KC-135, McConnell AFB, Kansas
- 55th Wing, 38th Reconnaissance Squadron, RC-135V/Ws, Offutt AFB, Nebraska
- 57th Wing, 64th Aggressors, F-16C, Nellis
- 57th Wing, 64th Aggressors, F-15C, Nellis
- 116th Air Control Wing, 16th Airborne Command and Control Squadron, E-8s, Robins AFB, Georgia
- 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 115, F/A-18s, Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, South Carolina
- 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, Marine Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron 4, EA-6Bs, Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina
- Commander, Electronic Attack Wing, Electronic Attack Squadron 138, EA- 18Gs, Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Washington