Advertisement

You will be redirected to the page you want to view in  seconds.

Prosecutor quits Sinclair sex assault case

Feb. 14, 2014 - 06:00AM   |  
  • Filed Under

The lead prosecutor in the sexual assault trial of Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair — amid misgivings over the most serious charges — has abruptly left the case.

Lt. Col. William Helixon’s departure comes less than a month before Sinclair’s scheduled court martial and weeks after the prosecution’s lead witness found an iPhone with messages from Sinclair she had not previously disclosed.

Defense attorneys say Helixon believed Sinclair’s accuser, a 34-year-old captain, was not a credible witness and that he had made efforts to persuade his superiors to drop sexual assault charges.

After the New York Times first reported the story, the Army released a statement confirming Helixon has moved on, attributing the move to “personal reasons.” Army officials at Fort Bragg, N.C., declined to answer questions about the case or defense’s allegations.

“The prosecution team remains committed to the integrity of the Uniform Code of Military Justice process and will continue to pursue resolution of these charges,” said Maj. Crystal Boring, of the 18th Airborne Corps.

Helixon did not immediately return an email seeking comment.

Sinclair, 51, served as the deputy commander of the 82nd Airborne Division, when the allegations surfaced and he was called back from Afghanistan.

Sinclair, a married father of two, has acknowledged that he and the female subordinate carried on a three-year affair.

However, prosecutors allege Sinclair also forced the woman to perform oral sex on him and have focused on the power differential in their relationship because of the difference in their ranks.

Defense attorneys argue the affectionate text message exchanges indicate the relationship was consensual and that hers were the allegations of a scorned lover.

The defense filed a formal request that the woman be investigated for perjury after she said under oath that she found an old phone Dec. 9 that contained texts and voicemails from Sinclair. A defense analyst claimed the phone had been accessed in November.

The court martial was rescheduled to begin March 3 so prosecutors and defense lawyers can complete further pre-trial discovery.

Sinclair has offered to plead guilty to conduct unbecoming of an officer and to adultery, which is punishable under military law, his lawyers told the New York Times. But they have pressed hard in negotiations against his serving prison time.

Answers by RallyPoint

Join trending discussions in the military's #1 professional community. See what members like yourself have to say from across the DoD.

More In News

Start your day with a roundup of top defense news.

VA Home Loan
Rates

Search By:

Product Options:
Zip Code:

News for your in-box

Sign up now for free Military Times E-Reports. Choose from Money and Education. Subscribers: log in for premium e-newsletters.


This Week's Air Force Times

This Week's Air Force Times

Keep airmen, cut waste
How airmen say the Air Force could save money

Subscribe for Print or Digital delivery today!

Classifieds
MilitaryTimes Green Trusted Classifieds Looking to buy, sell and connect on Military Times?
Browse expanded listings across hundreds of military installations.
Faces of valorHonoring those who fought and died in Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
hall of valorThe Hall of Valor is a searchable database of valor award citations collected by Doug Sterner, a Vietnam veteran and Military Times contributing editor, and by Military Times staff.
Woman who cried rape
(3 replies)
   Last Post: TJMAC77SP
        May 3, 2014 1:32 PM
   Last Post: garhkal
        May 1, 2014 5:03 PM
Cliven Bundy
(45 replies)
   Last Post: Chief_KO
        Apr 26, 2014 9:49 AM
Handbooks

All you need to know about your military benefits.

Benefits handbook

Guard & Reserve All you need to know about the Guard & Reserve.

guard and reserve handbook