WASHINGTON — The State Department is ordering non-emergency U.S. personnel to leave South Sudan and is suspending normal operations at its embassy due to political and social unrest.
The department is also warning U.S. citizens against all travel to South Sudan and recommending that Americans currently in the country depart immediately.
The department says Americans who stay despite the warning should seriously reconsider and should review their personal security situation.
South Sudan is on edge as its military hunts soldiers suspected of mounting a coup attempt. The United Nations says the fighting has forced about 13,000 people to seek refuge at U.N. facilities.
The coup attempt took place Sunday when a group of soldiers raiding a weapons store within the main army barracks were repulsed by loyalists. Gunfights have continued since then.