A helicopter lifts a person off the roof as police respond to the report of a shooting Monday at the Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. At least six people were killed by as many as three gunmen in the rampage. (Saul Loeb / AFP via Getty Images)
Related Links
WASHINGTON — Twelve people were killed and several others wounded Monday when a gunman identified as Aaron Alexis, 34, of Fort Worth, opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, authorities said.
The situation remained fluid, and the death toll could change.
Washington Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier said one shooter was dead and one police officer was wounded in an “engagement” with at least one gunman at Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters. Federal officials identified the dead shooter as Alexis.
Based on Navy records, Alexis served in the Navy from 2007 to early 2011, leaving service as an aviation electrician’s mate first class. He last served as a full-time support sailor attached to Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 46, a reserve unit based in Forth Worth. His decorations include the National Defense Service Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal. At the time of the shooting, according to media reports, Alexis had been working as a civilian contractor.
Lanier said authorities have “multiple” pieces of information indicating there could have been more shooters. She said police were searching for two possible suspects, but one was later cleared. Police still were searching for a black man between 40 and 50 years old wearing an olive drab military-style uniform and carrying a long gun, she said.
Lanier said the FBI was taking the lead in the investigation.
A federal law enforcement official said police killed Alexis, who was armed with an AR-15, a shotgun and a handgun. The federal official, who requested anonymity due to the fluid nature of the investigation, said there is no evidence that anyone other than the dead gunman fired weapons in the attack. The official said surveillance video of the shooting was being reviewed and that scores of investigators were interviewing hundreds of witnesses.
Terry Durham said she was working in the Navy building when a fire alarm rang out. She was trying to leave when she encountered a shooter.
“We couldn’t see his face, but we could see him with the rifle,” Durham said. “He raised and aimed at us and fired. And he hit high on the wall.”
Rick Mason, a program management analyst who is a civilian for the Navy, said he was at the Navy Yard when a gunman began shooting from a fourth-floor overlook in the hallway outside his office. He said the gunman was aiming down at people in the building’s cafeteria on the first floor.
Patricia Ward, a logistics management specialist, said she was in the cafeteria. “I heard three shots — pow, pow, pow. Thirty seconds later I heard four more shots.”
Then panic, as people tried to get out of the cafeteria. “A lot of people were just panicking. There were no screams or anything because we were in shock.”
Dave Sarr, an environmental engineer, was walking down a nearby street when he saw people running from the Navy Yard. Sarr has seen an evacuation drill a few days earlier at the Navy Yard. “At first I thought it was another drill,” Sarr said. “Then I saw an officer with his weapon drawn.”
President Obama made a brief statement, sending describing the victims as “patriots” and promising a thorough investigation. “I made it clear to my team that I want the investigation to be seamless,” Obama said.
The first news broke with the Navy reporting on its Twitter feed that there was an “active shooter” at Building 197 at the Navy Yard, and that three shots had been fired at 8:20 a.m. ET. The Navy later reported deaths and injuries, but details remained fluid.
Flights at nearby Washington Reagan National Airport were disrupted, with all departures temporarily halted at the airport.
At MedStar Washington Hospital Center, chief medical officer Janis Orlowski said the hospital was treating three victims — a male D.C. police officer and two women
She said the police officer had multiple gunshot wounds to his legs and was in surgery. One woman was shot in the shoulder, and the other in the head and hand. All are expected to survive, she said.
The hospital has been told to expect additional victims, Orlowsky said. “We’re pretty darned experienced at this.”
The Navy Yard is located on the banks of the Anacostia River, a few blocks from the Nationals baseball stadium. It’s in an urban area where the development of new parks, shops and apartments has been ongoing.
The Washington Nationals baseball team canceled Monday night’s game against the Atlanta Braves. A parking lot at Nationals Stadium was being used as a site for families seeking to reunite with loved ones who work at the Navy Yard.
The city had not decided how long the area by the Navy Yard, including the baseball stadium, would remain closed to the public, said Keith St. Clair, communications director for the deputy mayor for public safety and justice.
“Right now I’m asking God to help me get through this,” said Jacqueline Alston, whose husband Ernest Johnson is a contractor who works on the fourth floor of NAVSEA’s headquarters.
She described herself as “numb” while she awaits word on her husband, noting that he doesn’t have a cell phone as these are prohibited inside the building.
Naval Sea Systems Command is the largest of the Navy’s five system commands and accounts for a quarter of the Navy’s entire budget. It builds, buys and maintains the Navy’s ships and submarines and their combat systems.
NAVSEA headquarters’ security requires guests to pass through turnstiles that are watched by security guards before entering. Visitors must also turn in their phones and other electronic recording devices upon entry.
Capt. Michael Graham, who works at NAVSEA, was running late this morning coming in and by the time he arrived the base was already in a lock-down.
Graham said he had never seen a shelter in place drill in his five years at NAVSEA.
“I’ve never seen a shelter in place, I’ve seen the normal fire drills things like that, but never a shelter in place drill,” said Graham. “Normally the drills you have are to get out of the building.”
Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jon Greenert lives on the Navy Yard and was at home when the shootings started, a Navy official said. Greenert and his wife, Darleen, were quickly escorted off base and taken to the Pentagon.
This afternoon Greenert issued the following statement:
“Darleen and I extend our deepest condolences to the families of the victims of today’s events at the Navy Yard. Our team of Sailors and Navy Civilians at the Navy Yard deserve our care and concern at this time. I applaud the efforts of all who immediately responded to this course of events in order to care for the injured victims and ensure the safety of our personnel.”
Employees of Military Sealift Command and Navy History and Heritage Command, both based at the Navy Yard, are all safe and accounted for, Navy officials said.
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus posted the following statement on his official Facebook page: “I’m deeply shocked and saddened by the shooting this morning at the Navy Yard. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. I have complete confidence in our first responders, and I continue to be completely focused on this very difficult situation.”
Marine Barracks Washington also put their base on a partial lock down, only allowing Marines to leave if they were on official business, said Capt. Jack Norton, a base spokesman. A small contingent from Marine Barracks Washington’s Guard Company serves at the Navy Yard, Norton said.
Family members looking for information about their loved ones can call 202-433-6151 or 202-433-9713.
Contributing: USA TODAY; Navy Times; WUSA TV; Associated Press
Welsh: Scarce resources must go to core missions









Last Post: garhkal 



