- Filed Under
Two more military training instructors were recently sentenced for their part in an ongoing sexual misconduct scandal with technical training students, bringing the total number of MTIs to 13.
Most recently, Staff Sgt. William F. Romero pleaded guilty April 2 to having unprofessional relationships with four technical training students and committing adultery with one of them, said Brent Boller, a spokesman for the 502nd Air Base Wing.
Romero was sentenced to 60 days confinement; 30 days of hard labor at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland; the reduction in rank to airman; and will forfeit $900 in pay, but he was not discharged, Boller said.
Just a few days earlier, Tech. Sgt. Jonathan M. Croskey was sentenced March 29 to 30 days’ confinement and reduction in rank to senior airman, according the wing.
Croskey had been accused of having an unprofessional relationship with a technical training student, committing adultery with the student and another airman, and obstructing justice by telling the student to deny she had a relationship with him, according to the charge sheet for his case.
The sexual misconduct scandal began in summer 2011, when a recruit reported that a fellow trainee had been attacked by an MTI, who was later convicted of raping, sexually assaulting and having improper contact with 10 trainees.
Of the MTIs who have been convicted, three received bad-conduct discharges, two others received dishonorable discharges and the rest were allowed to remain in the Air Force as part of their sentences.
The case against a 14th MTI was dismissed when the judge ruled the evidence against him had been obtained without a search warrant. That case is being appealed.
Three other MTIs have received an Article 15, a non-judicial punishment, Boller said.
The cases of another eight MTIs are pending court-martial and nine more are under investigation.