Barbara Walters picked Gen. David Petraeus as the most fascinating person of 2012. (Cliff Owen / AP)
- Filed Under
On her Wednesday night ABC special, Barbara Walters named Gen. David Petraeus as her Most Fascinating person of 2012.
"We argued for months," over the choice, said Walters.
"David Petraeus was not chosen this year for his war record or his exemplary service to his country," said Walters. "This is about military honor, colliding with sex and lies in the digital age."
The head of the CIA stepped down in November after admitting he had an affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell.
Petraeus, 60, was also given Walter's No. 1 one spot in 2010.
Other newsmakers on her 10 Most Fascinating People of 2012 list:
• Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L. James
• Actor Ben Affleck
• New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie
• Olympic gold medalist Gabby Douglas
• Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
• British boy-band One Direction
• 2013 Oscars host and creator of TV's Family Guy , Seth MacFarlane
• Prince Harry and Honey Boo Boo were also featured on the list but were not interviewed.
When Walters asked Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson if they are now comfortable with their international fame, they all replied a resounding, "No!" Harry Styles, who has been hanging out with Taylor Swift lately, answered, "You never get used to it. To think that we are some people's favorite band is just amazing."