You will be redirected to the page you want to view in  seconds.

Tricare Help: My husband is leaving the service, but I'm pregnant

Jun. 29, 2012 - 11:59AM   |   Last Updated: Jun. 29, 2012 - 11:59AM  |  
  • Filed Under

Q. My husband is getting out of the Army in August, and we just found out that I am pregnant. I know that Tricare will not cover the pregnancy past the end of his contract, but is there a way to pay to extend the coverage for the rest of the pregnancy? I know that my husband is not eligible for the Transitional Assistance Management Program. What can we do?

A. If you're sure your husband will not be eligible for health coverage under the Transitional Assistance Management Program, and if he is severing all ties to the military (i.e., he's not going into the National Guard or reserve), the only Tricare option open to you would seem to be the Continued Health Care Benefit Program.

That program is designed to provide transitional health care coverage for separating service members and their families until the member sorts out his post-service plans and finds a civilian job with health coverage.

CHCBP coverage is generally available for 18 months after separation and offers benefits comparable with Tricare Standard.

However, CHCBP is quite pricey. You must purchase it by the quarter (three-month intervals), and at the moment, coverage for an individual is $1,065 per quarter; for a family which is what you would need it's $2,390 per quarter. That works out to a little less than $800 per month.

The CHCBP is administered for all eligible personnel by Humana Military Healthcare Services, which is also the contractor for the Tricare South region.

Q. I am 43 and have been awarded Social Security disability pay. In September, I become eligible for Medicare. I have received my cards already. Do I list Medicare as my primary insurance when I go to the doctor, or do I list Tricare Standard?

A. Many private-sector health care providers don't know what Tricare is, so the easiest thing to do is say you have Medicare. The provider will file your bills with Medicare, which will satisfy its allowable charges, then automatically forward any remaining charges to Tricare. That combination should fully cover your medical costs on the vast majority of your claims.

And it wouldn't hurt to call the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System to verify that your information in their files is correct. You can do that by calling the DEERS support office, toll-free, at 800-538-9552.

Write to Tricare Help, Times News Service, 6883 Commercial Drive, Springfield, VA 22159; or,%20but%20Im%20pregnant">click here to send an email. In email, include the word "Tricare" in the subject line and do not attach files. Get Tricare advice anytime">on our blog.

Answers by RallyPoint

Join trending discussions in the military's #1 professional community. See what members like yourself have to say from across the DoD.

More In Pay & Benefits

Start your day with a roundup of top defense news.

VA Home Loan

Search By:

Product Options:
Zip Code:

News for your in-box

Sign up now for free Military Times E-Reports. Choose from Money and Education. Subscribers: log in for premium e-newsletters.

This Week's Air Force Times

This Week's Air Force Times

CrossFit vs. unit PT
Troops will do the training plans in a $2.5 million study

Subscribe for Print or Digital delivery today!

MilitaryTimes Green Trusted Classifieds Looking to buy, sell and connect on Military Times?
Browse expanded listings across hundreds of military installations.
Faces of valorHonoring those who fought and died in Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
hall of valorThe Hall of Valor is a searchable database of valor award citations collected by Doug Sterner, a Vietnam veteran and Military Times contributing editor, and by Military Times staff.

All you need to know about your military benefits.

Benefits handbook

Guard & Reserve All you need to know about the Guard & Reserve.

guard and reserve handbook