You will be redirected to the page you want to view in  seconds.

Tricare Help: Can I drop Tricare Prime?

Mar. 21, 2012 - 06:12PM   |   Last Updated: Mar. 21, 2012 - 06:12PM  |  
  • Filed Under

Q. I'm a retired reservist. My wife and I switched from Blue Cross Blue Shield's federal program to Tricare Prime when I turned 60 last year. We had the BCBS plan suspended and used Prime as our primary insurance. Now, because of a problem we're having with Prime, I want to drop that coverage and return to BCBS as primary. How do I do that?

A. Call or write to your Tricare Prime contractor and tell them what you want to do. You will not be able to re-enroll in Prime for a year once you have canceled that service, so you will be restricted to Tricare Standard.

Discuss the matter with the contractor to be sure you understand the rules and that your BCBS plan will become your primary insurance.

Q. My wife has worked only in Germany, making her ineligible for Medicare and Part B. I know that means she will lose her Tricare when she turns 65 this summer. I'm told that she will get Medicare through me when I turn 62, but she is five years older than I am. What is she supposed to do for health insurance until I turn 62?

A. Ninety days before the month when she will be 65, your wife should apply for Medicare. Medicare will deny her application because she is not eligible, and will issue her an official Notice of Disallowance.

She needs to file that notice with the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System. Because she will not be eligible for Medicare at age 65, she will not lose her Tricare eligibility for failure to be enrolled in Part B at age 65. Her eligibility for ordinary Tricare will continue unchanged until she becomes eligible for Medicare.

Three or four months before you turn 62, contact Medicare for information and instructions about your wife's Medicare eligibility. If she becomes eligible for Medicare when you are 62, and if she is enrolled in Part B, her transition to Tricare for Life should go forward without a hitch.

Q. I am currently covered by Tricare through my husband. Will my benefits continue if I renounce my U.S. citizenship?

A. U.S. citizenship is not required for Tricare eligibility as long as you remain married to your military sponsor.

For confirmation, please call the DEERS support office, toll free, at 1-800-538-9552.

Write to Tricare Help, Times News Service, 6883 Commercial Drive, Springfield, VA 22159; or"> In email, include the word "Tricare" in the subject line and do not attach files. Get Tricare advice anytime at">

Answers by RallyPoint

Join trending discussions in the military's #1 professional community. See what members like yourself have to say from across the DoD.

More In Pay & Benefits

Start your day with a roundup of top defense news.

VA Home Loan

Search By:

Product Options:
Zip Code:

News for your in-box

Sign up now for free Military Times E-Reports. Choose from Money and Education. Subscribers: log in for premium e-newsletters.

This Week's Air Force Times

This Week's Air Force Times

CrossFit vs. unit PT
Troops will do the training plans in a $2.5 million study

Subscribe for Print or Digital delivery today!

MilitaryTimes Green Trusted Classifieds Looking to buy, sell and connect on Military Times?
Browse expanded listings across hundreds of military installations.
Faces of valorHonoring those who fought and died in Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
hall of valorThe Hall of Valor is a searchable database of valor award citations collected by Doug Sterner, a Vietnam veteran and Military Times contributing editor, and by Military Times staff.

All you need to know about your military benefits.

Benefits handbook

Guard & Reserve All you need to know about the Guard & Reserve.

guard and reserve handbook