You will be redirected to the page you want to view in  seconds.

Mission: Family: Start early on absentee ballot process

Mar. 15, 2012 - 06:37PM   |   Last Updated: Mar. 15, 2012 - 06:37PM  |  
  • Filed Under

You might have noticed this is an election year.

Have you registered to vote?

Whether you're a service member, spouse or a child who has reached the age of 18, you have rights by law to vote by absentee ballot in your state of legal residence, if you choose to.

The Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act of 2009 changed laws to make it easier for military and overseas citizens to vote and for their votes to be counted. This is the first presidential election testing the effectiveness of the MOVE Act.

This law applies to troops and their family members who are voting absentee regardless of where they're stationed and it's not just for people stationed overseas. Plenty of stateside troops are assigned in one state but list their legal residence in another; they can vote by absentee ballot, too.

Local election officials must send out absentee ballots to military and overseas voters who have requested them at least 45 days before the election. The Justice Department has been more aggressive about holding states to these standards.

Information about voting absentee also is more accessible with improvements in the Federal Voting Assistance Program. Visit"> to get help in determining the proper jurisdiction where you'll be voting, and to use a wizard that helps you register and request an absentee ballot.

The website has information on your state, including primary dates leading up to the November general election, deadlines and requirements for filling out a ballot.

Finding your jurisdiction is a little tricky this year because congressional district lines have been redrawn as a result of the 2010 census. That process is still ongoing in some states.

Registration requirements vary from state to state. Officials recommend registering and/or requesting an absentee ballot as early as possible and at least 90 days before Election Day.

You can register and request a ballot at the same time using the Federal Post Card Application. The FPCA Wizard on walks you through that process. You can also get information about using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot if you don't get your absentee ballot from your state in time.

Voting assistance officers on installations and in military units also can provide information, and have hard copies of the Federal Post Card Application and the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot. Another helpful site for overseas voters is the nonpartisan Overseas Vote Foundation at

The MOVE Act doesn't standardize what states do throughout most of the process, but it makes strides in ensuring your vote is counted, if you use the available tools and use them early. from reader">Karen Jowers is the wife of a military retiree.

Answers by RallyPoint

Join trending discussions in the military's #1 professional community. See what members like yourself have to say from across the DoD.

More In News

Start your day with a roundup of top defense news.

VA Home Loan

Search By:

Product Options:
Zip Code:

News for your in-box

Sign up now for free Military Times E-Reports. Choose from Money and Education. Subscribers: log in for premium e-newsletters.

This Week's Air Force Times

This Week's Air Force Times

CrossFit vs. unit PT
Troops will do the training plans in a $2.5 million study

Subscribe for Print or Digital delivery today!

MilitaryTimes Green Trusted Classifieds Looking to buy, sell and connect on Military Times?
Browse expanded listings across hundreds of military installations.
Faces of valorHonoring those who fought and died in Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
hall of valorThe Hall of Valor is a searchable database of valor award citations collected by Doug Sterner, a Vietnam veteran and Military Times contributing editor, and by Military Times staff.

All you need to know about your military benefits.

Benefits handbook

Guard & Reserve All you need to know about the Guard & Reserve.

guard and reserve handbook